Position: Front-End Drupal & Wordpress Website Designer / Developer*
You are intelligent, thoughtful, eager to learn and share.
You appreciate challenging, meaningful work.
You will be expected to be honest, responsible, and humble person. A sense of humor goes a long way as well.
You are a fast worker, have experience prioritizing tasks, work well on a team.
You have excellent writing skills. Whether English or PHP, style, grammer, and syntax are important to you. (You caught that spelling mistake, right?)
You understand that sometimes there are many solutions to the same problem and are able to prioritize & balance research, accomplishing quality results, and schedules within well-defined limitations.
You will have your own standing (or sitting) desk.
You will get your own speedy company computer and dual-monitor configuration complete with fast SSD.
Work will be done on lightening-fast web server(s) with SSD's (dev through live/production).
You will have the priviledge of interacting directly with clients.
Freshly-brewed, free coffee every day.
We are seeking a Front-End Drupal & Wordpress Website Designer / Developer to join our team! We need a creative website designer/deverloper with experience to work closely with our team (other designers, front-end, and back-end developers). The ideal candidate is a self-learner and self-manager with good time management skills, who enjoys collaboration, and who can communicate effectively in a group of diverse personalities.
- Convert written copy, graphics, audio, and video components to compatible web formats
- Create a websites with focus on creating an exceptional visitor experience, converting visitors to a valued client, and conveying a professional appearance that accurately represents the brand, product, or service.
- Create back-end code and interfaces.
- Analyze user needs to implement web site content, graphics, performance, and capacity
- Integrate web sites with other computer applications
- Keep up-to-date on web developments and trends
- Design, create, and modify attractive, thoughtfully laid out fully-responsive & mobile friendly websites (including branded graphics, icons, stock photos and client photography).
Applicant must be able to commute daily to our office currently located in Leola, PA (near Lancaster, PA).
- Previous experience in web development or other related fields
- Previous experience with the Drupal CMS (and Wordpress).
- An experienced understanding of web design and user experience principles.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail.
Additional experience that will set you apart:
- Backend Development Experience (See below under Desired Skills)
- Strong Adobe CC Skills
- A Computer Science, Web Development, or Website Design Degree
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Optimization
Front-end Developer Tasks (Required)
Existing Knowledge & Experience:
- Understands key server-side web development concepts through experiences such as:
- Creating visually appealing web pages or interfaces.
- Creating, editing or modifying templates for a CMS or web development framework.
- Testing cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross-device compatibility for inconsistencies.
- Testing for compliance to specified standards such as accessibility standards in the clients region or domain.
- Conducting observational user testing, or reviewing designs against usability heuristics.
Other knowledge or transferable skills:
- Familiarity of HTML syntax for multiple specifications, including HTML 5.
- Knowledge of the semantic meaning of all HTML elements.
- Familiarity with the semantic markup for display of lists, tabular data, forms, articles, etc.
- Knowledge of markup used for layout such as dividers.
- Knowledge at the level to be able to hand-code markup.
- Including media and images.
- Familiarity with modifying Drupal Theme hooks to display data
- Understanding how to utilize PHP to filter, process and output html, json, xml
- Specifying different CSS for various media, devices and displays.
- Best practices in CSS file organization and structure.
- Methods for including CSS inline, internal and external via linked style sheets.
- How to define, combine and group CSS selectors for HTML elements, ID, classes, pseudo classes, child or sibling.
- Syntax of CSS declarations, properties and attributes.
- CSS box model and methods for CSS positioning, absolute and relative.
- Knowledge of properties and attributes to control the display.
- Familiarity with differences in CSS 2 and CSS 3.
- Proficient with a CSS Preprocessor such as Sass or LESS.
- Best practices
- Methods to ensure browser & device compatibility
- Methods for degrading gracefully for older browsers and displays.
- Methods to ensure accessibility.
- File compression techniques for improving speed.
- Knowledge of the operators, variables, datatypes, objects, properties and methods.
- Familiarity with control structures such as objects, functions, conditional statements, arrays, loops and expressions.
- Forms and regular expression validation and submitting data.
- Knowledge of how to apply logical operators and conditional statements.
- Knowledge of the DOM HTML objects and their properties.
- Event handling.
- Creating and controlling windows and dialogs.
- Processes for troubleshooting and debugging
- Familiarity with development and debugging tools for cross-browser issues.
- Knowledge of how to employ the jQuery library for visual effects, event handling, and document manipulation.
Other possible responsibilities:
- content updating, publishing / management via content management systems (CMS)
- domain & DNS management
- client communications via email & phone
*Yes, we listed both front-end and back-end together; We need you to have experience in both arenas. It's okay if you're more comfortable & experienced in one over the other.
See more below for the type of work you'll get to do.
Reference: Thanks to Drupal.org's how to hire a developer notes.